[mythtv-users] Strange recording priority

Wilfred van den Assem c.assemvanhaaften at chello.nl
Fri Feb 13 18:25:22 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean schreef:
> On 02/12/2009 01:44 PM, Wilfred van den Assem wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean schreef:

>>> Right, because cardinput 6 is the "better" of the 2 encoders, so for
>>> recordings (which are considered infinitely more important than LiveTV
>>> by Myth), the best is used and LiveTV will be "pre-empted," even if
>>> another tuner is available.  Then, the user who was watching LiveTV
>>> can either watch the recording in progress or exit and re-enter LiveTV.
>> Why is 6 better when it is used and 7 (other card/other cable-box/same
>> channels) is free? I've read a lot but that's very hard for me.
>>

> Because Myth has to assume that not all capture cards are identical.
> In that case, it needs a way to determine which is considered the
> "better" of 2 cards.  This is done by assuming that the
> first-connected input is the best, the second-connected input is 2nd
> best, ...
Oké, thats clear for me.

>>> Nope.  That's just Myth.  The best solution:  don't use LiveTV--Myth
>>> is a DVR, where "R" means Recorder.
>>>
>>> Second-best solution: get another PVR-150 that can be dedicated to the
>>> satellite set-top box (i.e. so you have a /separate/ encoder for each
>>> set-top box) instead of using Input Groups and having 2 STB's share
>>> the same encoder.
>> I don't know what you mean with "get another PVR-150 that can be
>> dedicated to the satellite set-top box"
>> I've got 2 PVR's and two boxes. Box1 to PVR (/dev/video0)  and Box2 to
>> PVR (/dev/video1).
>>
>> It are the same cable-boxes, (Thomson from UPC - The Netherlands - sorry
>> for my poor English ;-).
>>

> It's not your English that caused the confusion, it's my lack of
> knowledge of what "Satelco DVB-C" meant in your statement, "I've got 2
> cable-boxes connected to 2 Hauppauge 150 PVR card and one Satelco
> DVB-C." I assumed that was another STB.  So, I apologize for the
> confusion (and you can ignore that part).

The Satelco DVB-C is a pci digital cable tuner. This one:
(http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/language/en/info/p130_SATELCO-EasyWatch-HDTV-PCI--DVB-C-.html/XTCsid/b8236f4a44dd3eb0a818418768b57424)

>> It's not clear for me why this happens. Before I had the boxes connected
>> I used the Tuner feature of the card for analog tv, and this never
>> happens.
>
> What specifically never happened?  I think I'm misunderstanding the
> issue/concern.
It never happens when I was watching live-tv on Encoder 6 (and Encoder 7
was free) and a recording starts it will break the live-tv. It always
choose Encoder 7.
I've used my two Hauppauge 150 cards for about 4 year to watch analog
tv, with the onboard tuner. But the cable-company have send me a
cablebox to watch digital tv. With that box I have more channels and the
quality is a little better. So I've got a second cablebox and don't use
the Hauppauge tuner-feature anymore. I use these card only to connect
the cablebox with the pc.

> And, if you've reconfigured things after getting the STB's, you may
> want to do the Video Sources portion of
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 and
> see if it "clears up" the issue for you.
>
> Mike

I create a backup from the database and removed all the Videosources and
cannels and created the Videosources again.
I've created one source for the Satelco card and one source for the
cablebox. But same thing. When I watch from Encoder 6 and 7 is free, it
interrupts live-tv for a recording.
But it is the way MythTV works and it's not a big problem for me. I was
only wondering why something happend and if this was normaly.
If I was MythTV, I would choose Encoder 7 when 6 is in use. :-)

Thank you for your explanation and answers. Keep on the good work,
MythTV is great piece of software and I love it.