[mythtv-users] Transcoding ripped DVDs

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Fri Feb 13 14:25:51 UTC 2009

Now that I have some ripped DVDs available in MythDVD, I would like to learn how to transcode them. Questions:

1. How do I initiate a transcoding job directly from the screen where I am watching the movie? I tried hitting X but I believe it didn't do anything. How do I control the parameters for the job in this case? Where can I see the list of pending, ongoing, etc., transcoding jobs?

2. How do I initiate a transcoding job from a command line? How do I control the parameters for the job in this case?

3. Can anybody share recommendations on transcoding parameters for the following cases? I would like to lower the space used by the movies, but hopefully keeping the quality "good enough" (I am aware that this is a subjective measure).

3.1. Older movies (think 2010, Godfather) that, although available in DVD format, have a rather lower resolution than new movies and do not benefit that much from having them in high quality MPEG format.

3.2. Newer movies (think Matrix, Madagascar) with much higher quality.

Thanks and best regards,

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
DCV - Chile