[mythtv-users] MythMusic spdif only works with some deciders-preamps

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:10:06 UTC 2009

If I play an mp3 file from mythmusic it will play fine through my
Technics SH-AC500D decoder which happens to be hooked up to my TV.
The other spdif output I have out of the myth box goes to a high end
Outlaw 990 decoder-preamp.  There is no output from the 990.  Both the
500D and the 990 switch to non Dolby modes with MythMusic but, like I
said, only the 500D decodes it.  When playing a recorded ATSC TV show,
which is Dolby Digital, both boxes indicate Dolby D and play fine.

Can anyone explain this and let me know if there is a fix?  I could
not find anything using google.

I actually discovered this with mplayer but thought I would simplify
the thread by focusing on mythmusic, but this problem is not only with
mythmusic.

As a side question, can anyone verify the format that goes out over
the spdif port when playing an mp3?  Mythfrontend log says sr 44100 so
I assume it is standard pcm 44.1KHz data.  But why won't it decode?

Outlaw Audio tech support has never had a call where the 990 could not
decode a spdif input so they were not helpful.  They tossed the ball
back in my court to find out more about the spdif stream.

Any help is appreciated.

Allen