[mythtv-users] New spdif setup suggestions

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:43:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone who has gotten HDMI audio to work help out here with the version
> numbers required as a minimum on alsa and nvidia drivers to get HDMI audio
> working?
> Specifically, I just upgraded alsa and have version 1.0.16.  Is this good
> enough for HDMI?
> Why did anyone have to upgrade the nvidia driver?
> I am trying to put together a wiki for digital sound that works and I don't
> have HDMI so there is a limit on what I can test.
> Thanks for the help.

Sorry Allen, i've been meaning to go through each post here and reply
where i can.  i haven't had time when i get home at night lately. :)

i have HDMI audio working with Myth, but apparently not anywhere else...
i believe you need at least the 1.0.18 ALSA Drivers to get it to work.
 i went with 1.0.19 since they were available and supposedly stable.
that cleared up all the popping and static and i get all audio over
HDMI now (stereo, AC3...).  i don't have an nVidia chipset or video
card, so no nVidia drivers are installed.  my chipset/video is all
Intel.
mobo = Asus P5E-VM HDMI, different than yours only in that it's Intel
instead of AMD i believe.  we have the same sound chip/processor,
Realtek 88XX or similar.

i'll try to log on tonight and look over your wiki posting and let you
know if it deviates from what is working for me and i'll see if i can
try out your settings as well.

do you have audio (SPDIF or HDMI) working with mplayer, xine, or at
the OS level?  i haven't had the cycles to get this working, but would
like to eventually.

--
Andrew Close