[mythtv-users] Radeon Xpress 1250, usable with Myth?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Feb 12 09:08:03 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> I just picked up an Acer Aspire M3100 for $50 at the local Circuit City
> liquidation, including a 17" LCD monitor, so I figure it was a decent deal.
> It has no hard drive, but boots and runs Knoppix, so I guess I'll put a drive
> into it.
>
> Biggest problem is it has  Radeon Xpress 1250 graphics, with an HDMI output.
>
> I have always stuck with nVidia graphics, it seems to play better with Myth
> than the ATI stuff.
>
> I checked the archives, and didn't find anything specific to this graphics
> hardware working with Myth, one way or another, though there were some
> seemingly unrelated questions.
>
> Anyone have experience running Xpress 1250? I'm thinking of trying to use this
> machine for a F/E. The X2 5600+ should have the horsepower to play 1080i
> without VDPAU (no VDPAU with ATI anyway), but I'd really like it if I could
> get it to play HD-PVR recordings.

Support using the radeon driver (not ati, not radeonhd) is very good
for ATI IGPs. I have a mobo with an X1250 and it works great, including
XV. Not so sure about XVMC - probably not. These chips are a very good
choice for running SD TVs via Scart, because they can put out TV
frequencies with interlacing on VGA, but I guess that attribute may
not be of interest to you.

Cheers,
	Paul.