[mythtv-users] Stupid question: updating nvidia driver

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:46:52 UTC 2009

I usually don't like to ask a stupid question but I have spent the last hour
and a half on this online and can't figure it out.
I am trying to verify my wiki and specifically the part about updating
nvidia driver. My aux frontend is very up to date so I did an envygn -t and
updated the nvidia driver -- to 96.43.05!!!

What gives with that?  I then tried it again first uninstalling the old one
and then installing the new one -- same thing.

I must be doing something stupid.  I stayed up late working on the wiki but
I swear I didn't take my stupid pills today.

This is why I think I have an old version on my aux FE:

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module  96.43.05  Tue Jan 22 19:36:58
PST 2008
GCC version:  gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

On the other hand, my FE/BE gives this:
$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  173.14.12  Thu Jul 17 18:11:36
PDT 2008
GCC version:  gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

This is not completely up to date but it works so I don't mess with it.

Both machines are Mythbuntu.

Allen