[mythtv-users] LiveTv and disk endurance....

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 11 15:48:19 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 08:19:21 Silvano BATTISTI wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> LiveTv puzzles me: how does LiveTv affect harddisk life?
> I think that continuous disk write-read accesses can dramatically
> reduce disk life.
> Do you have any figure about the life reduction for a disk when
> watching TV for about 2 to 3 hours per day?

As opposed to what? Never accessing it at all?

I suppose if you were to put the hard drive into some sort of deep freeze and
never use it it would last longer. How would that help?

I doubt the usage you refer to would result in any measurable decrease in
life.

Take a look at Google's famous report on hard drive life. You'll have to
google around for it. It had some interesting conclusions, like temperature
doesn't seem to correllate with life as much as we all thought

--
beww
beww at beww.org