[mythtv-users] Mythweb still causes mythbackend to sometimes go to 100% CPU

Adam Felson a.f.9 at pobox.com
Tue Feb 10 14:36:58 UTC 2009

About 18 months ago, there was a problem with mythweb previews
causing mythbackend to get in a situation where cpu usage go to 100% and stays
there until killed.

For a while, there was a mythweb script I'd hack to disable previews in order
to keep mythbackend from going to 100%.

I think it was about a year ago that it was mostly fixed.  I only say mostly
fixed because mythbackend still occasionally goes to 100%.  It seems like it
is still mythweb that causes it to happen.  When playback gets choppy, I
check the system and discover mythbackend at 100%;  it seems to happen about
every 4-6 weeks.

Is anybody else still seeing this?  Any workarounds other than running top and
killing mythbackend?

MythTV Version   : 19688M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv
using_lirc using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw
using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live

Linux myth 2.6.25-gentoo-r9 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 4 11:34:49 MST 2009 x86_64
AMD Phenom(tm) 8750 Triple-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux