[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Tue Feb 10 06:48:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 16:14 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/2/10 Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net>:
> > This thread covered several GPUs over the past couple weeks
> indicating
> > the limitations of each, etc.  It seems that a lot of people are
> hung up
> > on the GPUs supporting VC-1, but I would imagine that a GPUs that
> > supports the best de-interlacers would be more important.  If you're
> > going to play blue-ray, odds are that you'd use a standalone player.
> > Just my 2 cents.
>
> I agree. IMO good deinterlacing is more important..
>
> However, currently the only thing supporting HDMI and 7.1 digital
> audio is the 9300/9400 IGP so you definitely want those to work
> properly.

This is mostly why I am waiting. Your backports are fine as they go but
VDPAU is not itself stable yet. I'm not willing to go trunk.

By the time all that is sorted out, .22 will be out, VDPAU will be
stable, chances are that there will be a new nvidia board that will cost
$30, that will be fanless, that will be able to handle the best
deinterlacing, VC-1 and full rate audio on HDMI.

This is my current bet, anyway.

And no, I will not get a discrete blu-ray player, my goal with my Myth
system is to get it all in a single box.

So I'll try to be patient for a bit more, the increase of noise when
using the CPU to decode HD is still acceptably covered by the sound from
the speakers, and I am not concerned by 1080i yet.

Nico