[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:06:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> wrote:
> I'm considering getting an Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard which has a GeForce
> 9300 onboard.  I see one report at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Vdpau
> which says that One Field 1x HW playback works.  Has anyone tested this
> with better de-interlacers?  Or can anyone estimate where this would lie
> in Jean-Yves' family of cards?  I'm thinking it might handle VC-1 too.

Yes, the integrated graphics are capable of doing VC-1.  The
motherboard has been rock solid so far, and I have had only occasional
issues with the VDPAU deinterlacers.  It's difficult to predict when
you will need to fall back to a lesser deinterlacer, and I have not
needed to do so for some time.  It's entirely possible optimizations
in the driver and Myth have negated the need to do so.  I am currently
running with the Bob 2x deinterlacer but have also used the other 2x
deinterlacers.  The mobo comes configured for 256 MB of shared
graphics memory, which you will likely need to up to 512 MB.

Just an aside, you (everyone) needs to try to avoid using the one
field deinterlacer for a number of reasons, not the least of which is
half the image data is being thrown out.  The 9300 implementation on
the Asus is fairly solid for me so far, though.

Robert