[mythtv-users] Commercial PVR offerings - is MythTv still competitive ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 9 21:28:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:15:25PM -0800, Steve Heistand wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:58:14 -0500 (EST), George Mogielnicki wrote
>
> > Has this commercial offering caught up with Myth TV in terms of value ?
> >

> if ALL you want to do is record and watch what is coming down from the
> satellite then yes. But then any tv service DVR will do at that point.

...and assuming that you can attach enough storage to it to meet your
needs. I built my first myth box because my DirecTivo had less storage
space than my previous S2 and less flexiblity. This led to a dramatic
loss in effective storage space. It wasn't really useful anymore
because between 3 people there just wasn't enough room.

   A single one of my wife's "genre" wishlists could wipe out the whole
box. It's nice to have room to record stuff that you would never think
to record. That suggestions bit was one of the cooler features in Tivo.

   So was compression. Some stuff is inherently compressable. With other
stuff, the quality of the visuals is more negotiable. Either way, it's
handy to have th option.

   I doubt if cableco PVRs are as flexible when it comes to recording
rules... what to record, how much to record, how to expire stuff.

   MythTV is for the PVR power user. As others have said and will doubtless
repeat: it's all about the power and flexibility of the solution rather than
how cheap it is.