[mythtv-users] Up-To-Date (UK) FreeSAT channel numbers?

Bradley Kite bradley.kite at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:13:44 UTC 2009

2009/2/8 Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/2/8 Bradley Kite <bradley.kite at gmail.com>:

>>> The list was updated in Dec 2008. Is it any different to
>>> http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/satellite/freesatepg/ or
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat ? Don't
>>> forget that you are receiving a lot of additional channels that are
>>> not part of the Freesat EPG.

>>> I'm not running trunk on my DVB-S card so I can't say whether the
>>> current channel scanner detects and uses the Freesat EPG channel
>>> numbers. Otherwise, a SQL script that renumbers the Freesat channels
>>> (using something pretty stable like their serviceid) is currently a
>>> good way to do it if you find yourself rescanning often.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick Morrott
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been thinking about this a bit more... there must be a way to get
>> the mythtv channel scanner to "detect" (ie from scanning) the correct
>> freesat channel numbers?
>>
>> I've found a much more comprehensive list of freesat channels (and
>> numbers) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat
>> but real freesat set-top-boxes must somehow pull in the correct
>> channel numbers from the EPG... I really dont want to spend hours
>> pruning all the free-to-air channels and re-numbering/renaming my
>> freesat channels every time - there must be an easier way?
>>
>> Maybe a specific PID lists them or re-maps them or something?
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Brad
>>
> Brad
>
> This isn't as simple as you think.....
>
> for example BBC1 as channel 101  --> Which BBC1 do you want?  London,
> Wales, Northern Ireland?  You see the problem.
>
> Manually editing the list isn't as hard as you might think.....using
> mythweb you can do it in about 20 minutes (first time) and then all
> subsequent edits are easy.
>
> in Mythweb
>
> Click the word 'Mythtv' on the "actions" bar across the top ('Mythtv'
> is just left of the 'listings' option)
>
> When the menu comes up move to settings and then choose channel info.
>
> Deselect all the channels you don't want and change the channel
> numbers for those you want to keep, you can even rename ones if you
> wish.
>
> remember to click Save at the very bottom of the list and wait for up
> to a minute for the db to get populated properly.
>
> restart the Master Back End and then close and re-open your mythweb session.
>
> Hopefully that should do it.
>
> Then backup your Database in case it gets borked at some point.
>
> Good Luck

Hi there.

Yes indeed there are locality issues to take into account - but even
so proper Freesat boxes do this, so it cannot be that big a deal...

I'm aware of how to change the channel info etc but I'm just fed up of
having to re-do it each time.

On Freeview (DVB-T) this is not a problem, it picks up all the correct
channel numbers any way so was just trying to come up with an idea or
find out further info about how it is meant to be done. ie (and this
is just a guess...) there must be a particular PID that somehow lists
the correct channel numbers that should be used in the EPG... OK maybe
its compressed (eg freesat EPG is Hoffman encoded) but the data should
still be obtainable if the Hoffman tree can be recreated. David
Matthews already did a lot of work in this area, but maybe its not in
the EPG or is stored somewhere else etc...

--
Brad.