[mythtv-users] Interfacing with cable fox Time Werner then FIOS

Mon Feb 9 02:13:57 UTC 2009

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2009, at 7:13 AM, greg wrote:
>
>> MailingListJ wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> So I'm looking for some help... I'm having a hard time finding how
>>> to interface with my Time Werner cable box, I will be switching to
>>> FIOS sometime in the future if I can but not at this current
>>> moment.  Any ideas on how to get this off the ground so that I can
>>> get HD into my foxes.  The next problem which I saw discussion about
>>> was trans coding on the fly from HD to SD for my other TVs... any
>>> ideas?
>>> -J
>
>> You will need an analog card like the hauppauge 150 or some similar
>> card,then connect the Set top box via the s-video port on the card...
>
> He asked how to get HD into his boxes (well, he said into his foxes,
> but I assume he meant boxes because I don't think foxes do video, let
> alone HD). He'll either need to try his hand with Firewire or the
> Hauppauge HD-PVR. You can search the mailing list for information on
> how to implement using these. Going with a standard definition capture
> card will give you surprisingly good video (near DVD quality in my
> experience) so it's not a bad alternative if you can't/don't want to
> get the HD options working.
>
> There is nothing in mythtv to transcode on the fly. The supported
> method is to record something and set it to transcode once the
> recording is complete, then the video will only be available within
> mythtv as the newly transcoded video. Anything else is outside the
> scope of what it currently available. This also makes the SD option
> more attractive.
>
> -Brad

Yes, Yes, I did spell it wrong.  I wonder then if that would be
something to consider making some simple code based on a flag per
fronted to transcode/record the show in both HD and SD and then play the
one relevant to the frontend's flag.  I would like to try firewire
however the whole encryption thing scares me from doing it....
thanks,
-J