[mythtv-users] NVidia ION - Atom plus 9400M graphics on a box smaller than a toaster

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 21:21:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> if you read the above rumor on AppleInsider.com, i believe it also
> >> mentions the AppleTV.  i agree the AppleTV would benefit more from the
> >> ION than the mac-mini.  dumping extra processing out to the GPU would
> >> be great in any case (on the mini), but downgrading the CPU would
> >> restrict it somewhat as a general purpose machine.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Andrew Close
> >
> > ..And that would be Apple's exact reason for doing it. They want their
> > computers to be their multipurpose machines, and their appliances to
> > remain appliances. If it stops Joe User from installing OS X on their
> > Apple TV, I think Apple would be all for it.
>
> Well, there are many of us now running OS X on Atoms, single and dual
> core.  My dual core atom running 10.5 performs slightly better than my
> 1.66 CoreDuo mini did.  So if Apple does release an Atom-based
> AppleTV, you can be that very quickly they'll be re-purposed to
> running full OS X.

Do you have a lot of RAM and a fast hard drive? Do you have any benchmarks
that show how fast it is or is it seat-of-your-pants testing? The reason I
ask is because Engadget reported that Hackintosh netbooks were benchmarked
as about the same speed as an iBook G4. Granted your hardware is probably
different than a netbook and you've got a dual-core Atom but I'm surprised
that it's on par with a Core 2 Duo of any speed.

Article at
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/03/ibook-g4-benchmarked-against-hackintosh-netbook-comes-out-even/