[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Why can I pretend to change the volume if internal controls are disabled?

Joe jfwd at phlobus.net
Fri Feb 6 22:04:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> For consistency sake you would need to pop up a message whenever you press a
> key that doesn't do anything to say, "What you just pressed did nothing."
> like when you press Vol+ and you're already at max volume, pop up a message
> saying, "What you just pressed did nothing" or if you press a number key on
> the main menu, you'll have a pop up saying, "What you pressed did nothing".
> I can think of endless places where this code would need to exist.

My point was not to yell at the user for pressing a bad key - that
would be ridiculous and annoying.  I'm sure everyone agrees on that.

The point is that the key IS mapped to a function that DOES exist and
is in the docs, but yet doesn't work due to a configuration setting.
In this particular case the OSD pops up and basically claims it did do
something when you press it, which is wrong (it's a lie, to put it
bluntly).

Little things like this IMO decrease the general polish level of the
UI (and the WAF) and could be fixed with little more than a text
string change to make it more clear as to what's going on.  In this
case Andrew was offering to fix it and I say go for it - it can't hurt
- and thanks for doing it!

-Joe