[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Why can I pretend to change the volume if internal controls are disabled?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Feb 6 19:02:58 UTC 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Joe wrote:

>>> I think that's a good workaround, but I want to fix the problem.
>>
>> Why are you pushing a button to perform a function that does
>> nothing on your
>> system?  Seriously?  People spend waaay to much time messing around
>> with
>> stuff.  Move on.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss/reject stuff like this.
> While I agree it's pretty minor, in general having buttons or things
> in the menus which do not work or do something other than what is
> advertised takes away from the feeling of a complete and polished
> package.  Simply said it promotes a perpetual "unfinished" feeling.
>
> If it is a simple change, I'd vote for just changing the text in the
> OSD to tell the user that the button they just pressed did nothing.
> At least this would make the UI honest and it seems like a minor/quick
> patch.  Possibly reducing confusion for someone down the road can't be
> a bad thing if it doesn't break anything.

For consistency sake you would need to pop up a message whenever you
press a key that doesn't do anything to say, "What you just pressed
did nothing." like when you press Vol+ and you're already at max
volume, pop up a message saying, "What you just pressed did nothing"
or if you press a number key on the main menu, you'll have a pop up
saying, "What you pressed did nothing". I can think of endless places
where this code would need to exist.