[mythtv-users] Zenith DTT901

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri Feb 6 17:06:19 UTC 2009

Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Adam Siegel <agsiegel at gmail.com
> <mailto:agsiegel at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a few Zenith DTT901's.  It is the HD to SD converter that can
>     be purchased with the government $40 coupon.  The unit really works
>     well.  The tuner is much more sensitive than the AVerMedia AVerTVHD
>     MCE A180 cards I have in my myth setup.  And the picture quality is
>     outstanding for SD only ouput.
>

> This box is a digital to analog converter, not an HD to SD converter.
> Digital TV transmission does not mean "HD".

I think what Admin wants to do is use the box to receive ATSC and
convert it to SD so he can capture it on his SD mythtv box.  This puts
the burden of transcoding on the DTT901.  Not a bad idea.  And you don't
need to re-spin your mythtv box w/an ATSC tuner and all of it's problems
(still do not have full support of everything on my KWorld-120 card
under linux).

If one could find a s-video output inside the box the picture should be
much improved (separating the video from the color information is nasty
business).  I doubt component will help much more and I doubt there is
much of a chance of getting an hdmi output.  Besides, at that point you
are really asking for the mpeg2 stream are you not?  Might as well get
the HDHome run.

I have one of these boxes, I'll take a look and see if there's something
to be done with it.