[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 05:58:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> So,
>
> Software developers, hardware engineers, etc...
>
> With all the hype of VDPAU, Cheap frontends etc it got me wondering.  Why
> cant someone with the know how build some STB/Media Extended for MythTV?
> Hardware wise it should be completely feasible.  Just developing the
> software to run on the client.  and getting some established
> distributor/online store to sell and ship them.
>
> Ideally we would want the core dev's to support the box so new features
> added to Myth are compadible with the Extender.  I am sure 80% or more of
> myth users would totally buy a $199 box to replace that large PC or extend
> myth to thier next room etc.
>
> Is there something im missing?   After all Myth Dev's and others pulled
> together to build Schedules Direct so why cant we do this?
>
> I say this because I have often thought of jumping ship to Sage or Vista
> Media center but there is so many more caveats to do so.  I LOVE myth, just
> wish it has a Silient, cheap, STB form factor extender!
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Mitchell

I just came across this:
http://www.deviceguru.com/ip-stb-maker-tempts-devs-with-discount/

Myka lists these key features and specs for its STB:

    * Processor — Broadcom BCM7403 SoC (PDF download) with 450 DMIPS performance
    * Memory — 256MB RAM; 16MB flash
    * Connectivity — WiFi and Ethernet
    * Internal hard drive — 80, 160, or 500 GB
    * Expansion — 2x USBs (1 front, 1 rear)
    * Video connections — HDMI, Composite, S-Video, SPDIF
    * Video formats supported:
          o MPEG-2 MP at ML (ISO/IEC13818),up to 10Mb/s
          o H.264/AVC MP HP up to L4.1
          o VC1 AP at L3,Simple and Main Profile
          o WMV 9 Simple and Main Profile
          o DivX 3.11,4.11 and 5.x support
          o MPEG-4 part 2 SP/ASP
          o Aspect Ratio:4:3 and 16:9,auto format detection
          o Out Definition:480i,480p,576i,576p,720p or 1080i
    * Audio formats supported — MPEG (Layer1,2), MP3, AAC, WMA

Could be an interesting option since it seems to support h264 and VC1.

Dave