[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Feb 5 23:33:25 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>>
>> FCC cert yes, but you can avoid the UL cert by using a UL approved
>> external power-supply.
>>
> Ugh. I dislike those things because they suck power 24/7. At least with
> a proper built-in power supply you go down to standby power or less when
> you're not sat in front of the box.

You might be surprised how little power they suck.

After reading the "green tip" that you should unplug your cell charger
one too many times, I went and got all the chargers I could find --
cell, laptop, and digital camera -- plugged them all into a power strip,
and plugged the strip into my Kill-A-Watt.  It read 0 watts.  (By
contrast, the built-in supply in my desktop computer draws 2-3 watts
while "off".)

The old linear-type external supplies did suck a fair amount of power
when idle, but most now are switching designs.

A good rule of thumb is to leave the supply plugged in for a while and
then feel it.  If it's cold to the touch it's not using enough power to
worry about.