[mythtv-users] Does multirec actually work ?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 22:50:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2009/2/6 James Stembridge <jstembridge at gmail.com>:
> > Without switching tuners how could you view a channel on a different
> > multiplex? Live tv unfortunately won't switch tuners to give you the
> > channel you want.
>
> I thought about it a bit more while trying to fall asleep last night.
>
> I think I understand where the problem come from.
>
> I have 3 DVB-T cards, I created them allowing 2 recordings on each.
> MythTV then creates 6 encoders.
>
> Encoder 1 and 2: card 1
> Encoder 3 and 4: card 2
> Encoder 5 and 6: card 3
>
> Say I start watching LiveTV ; myth uses encoder 1. Start recording
> Exit LiveTV go back into livetv.
> myth uses the next available free encoder : encoder 2
>
> Problem is that next free encoder can only tune to a channel on the
> same multiplex.
>
> That's where the problem lies: it shouldn't have used encoder 2 but
> encoder 3 ; or the information that say channel X is not available on
> encoder 2 needs to be available somewhere for the new feature allowing
> to browse across all encoders to pick the right tuner...
> Would be great is someone could test with trunk and see if the
> behaviour is the same ; I expect that it is
>
> Hope that makes sense
>
> I don't know that mythtv code enough to know precisely what is going on...

I think the short summary of Michael's post is that LiveTV picks the "next
encoder" starting with Encoder 1 and working it's way down.  If you
delete/add your encoders so that Encoder 1, 2, and 3 are the physical
encoders *then* go back and configure them for multirec, you'll have 4, 5,
and 6 as virtual encoders.  Thus, when LiveTV picks the next encoder after
Encoder 1 is in use, it will actually be physical encoder 2, not virtual
encoder 2 and you won't have a multiplex limit until you exhaust your
physical encoders which is, actually, expected behavior.

Kevin