[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Feb 5 20:36:18 UTC 2009

At 9:10 AM -0800 2/5/09, Brad Fuller wrote:
>We could. Or we could make this vendor -neutral. Develop a ref design
>independently, and then if mfrs want to use it, they can have it.

If a ref design was published, then a parts vendor like NewEgg might
be able to be convinced to simply stock all of the parts as a package
that the consumer has to assemble. Pop in a Mythbuntu/dora/whatever
CD, and you're golden.

This approach has the advantage that there's no UL or FCC testing needed.