[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 5 20:28:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would also be nice that the case did not cost something ridiculous
> like $150 US.

No kidding. About $50 should be more than reasonable for the amount of metal
we're talking about here. I have a dead Directv Tivo box, I should gut it
and see what I can cram in there. I bet I could get at least a mini-ITX
based system in there, maybe micro-ATX. Decent amount of work to get it in
there and get the holes and threads lined up for the mobo though. With the
tools I have available anyway. I'd love to see a decently priced case
though, something that looks like a home theater component, not like a
computer.

If we lose the optical and HD bays, we could get a pretty small box. I don't
know how much people would like having them though. I find I don't use them
much myself, but that doesn't mean I'm "normal". :)