[mythtv-users] Analog firewire recordings end early due to 25% fewer frames

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 20:04:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Grant McChesney <grantmc at gmail.com> says:
>> I wonder if you would have the same issue with the newer Motorola
>> STBs.  Have you considered swapping out the DCT-6200 for the
>> DCH-3200?
>
> Odd you mention this; the other person with my cable service also
> happens to have DCH-3200s. I am going to cross my fingers and swap my
> boxes out.
>
> --
> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

Hi Yeechang,

It's my prediction that you will find yourself pleasantly surprised
when you swap for 3200s, let me tell you why-- the 3200 and 6200 are
actually parallel products.  The 6200s are identical to the 3200 with
one key difference-- they have an analog tuner/MPEG-2 encoder as they
are deployed in systems with some channels on analog-only.  3200s lack
an analog tuner and are deployed in environments where all channels
are tunable via digital.  So, my guess is somewhere along the way
Astound added digital-only versions of the basic channels and switched
to 3200s, but left the 6200s deployed for cost reasons.  When you swap
for 3200s, you will actually be tuning the channels in question from
entirely different frequencies, and in digital format.  I expect this
is the reason your friend got better results on the "same" channels
(as they were in fact different channels strictly speaking).

I'd also conclude that your issue has to do with the firmware
controlling the MPEG-2 encoder on the 6200.  Anyway, let us know.

Robert