[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 5 15:48:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

> I'm asking which amd processor would I need in order to safely do VC-1 in
> software... I currently run dual core 4400+, which i KNOW is not enough.
> I also have AM2 motherboards, not AM2+, hence the specification in the
> question.  I cannot buy an AM3 or a core2 chip and put it in my AM2
> motherboard, so it's really irrelivant what AM2+/3 or core2 chip can do it
> :)

I'm using an X2 6000+. It has been able to decode the VC-1 I have tried, at
about 15Mbps. It was 720p, but I was using about 40% CPU, so it should be
able to handle 1080p. If I were to buy a CPU myself for software decode
right now, I'd probably go a step or two higher for VC-1, just to be sure. I
use h264 for all my stuff, so I haven't worked with a lot of VC-1. I can
tell you that CPU can decode h264 1080p up to about 15Mbps. I haven't tried
much higher bitrates. VDPAU has also worked for h264 for me. I had a crash
with VC-1, but it could have been a lot of things so I'm not blaming VDPAU
at the moment. I haven't had time to diagnose it and it's low priority for
me as I just don't use VC-1 much.

With the way VDPAU is progressing, I would wait and buy a card that can do
it later. NVidia has to be working on some new cards that will have a newer
GPU that can do the deinterlacing better and have VC-1. If you're going to
upgrade the system, get a motherboard that has the 8xxx or 9xxx chipset. My
8300 works great and it does have VDPAU. Not sure on deinterlacing, I have
only used progressive content with VDPAU at this point.