[mythtv-users] Analog firewire recordings end early due to 25% fewer frames

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Feb 4 23:35:38 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> says:
> My guess is your box actually is getting the 2-99 channel signals
> from a digital source.  Otherwise it would have to have an MPEG
> encoder in it just to provide firewire output on those channels,
> which seems like a needless expense.

That makes sense. I do wonder what, if anything, I'd see if I owned an
analog TV or capture card and plugged the cable coax into it. Even if
any analog channels were scrambled I'd be at least able to tell that
they were there, right?

I will try and report back on the suggestion of manually looking
around on the cable box for digital simulcasts of said analog
channels.

> It very well could be they've cut the frame rate on that digital
> stream.

This thread has exposed the narrow limits of my kowledge on these
matters, but could the theory I raised in my original message have
some validity? That is, a stream that's been lowered below a certain
quality threshold giving the FireWire-output circuitry in my DCT6200s
fits?

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array