[mythtv-users] Analog firewire recordings end early due to 25% fewer frames

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Wed Feb 4 19:35:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Tony Brummett <brummett at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > If you're asking whether (as many providers do) the company simulcasts
> > the analog channels on a separate set of digital channels, the answer
> > is sadly no, according to the provider's channel listings. Believe me,
> > I'd be very happy were this the case.
>
> You can't go by the provider's listings.  The only way to be sure is
> to hook up a QAM tuner and scan for channels.
>
> For example, my cable provider's listings shows CBS as, say, channel
> 4.  And you can take an NTSC tuner from a regular TV or a PVR250 and
> tune to channel 4 and get the analog signal.  Scanning the cable with
> an HDHomerun in QAM mode shows that same video is also on, say,
> channel 79.5.  There's no way that I know of to tell if the DCT6200 is
> using the analog or digital channel when you tell it to go to channel
> 4, though I would bet it's the digital one.  Maybe it's in one of the
> service-mode menus?

It's very possible that this is what's happening. I've discovered though
scanning that on my local cable CBS is actually on three different channels
(3 [analog], 18-3 [digital sd], and 21-3 [digital hd]). If you look up by
listings you'd see that they have channel 3 for SD and 233 for HD. There's
obviously some magic in the cable box that tells it to tune to 20-3 when the
user picks channel 233. That same magic could also change to channel 18-3
when they pick channel 3.

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us