[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:52:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Calvin Harrigan
<charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> The fact that it doesn't support VC-1 means that it's not a G98 or greater
> core.
> The ones that support VC-1 is an 8400GS, which I can find plenty of, it's
> just that I've read that they are not powerful enough to do the high end
> deinterlacing etc.
> Like the subject of the thread says, it's quite confusing.
> Right now I'm trying to decide between te 9500GT or a 8400GS.
> How important is VC-1 decoding, isn't that a microsoft codec?  I know its
> supported by HD_DVD and Blue Ray, but is it really that rampant in the wild?
> All of my recordings are mpeg2 via a pvr250 and a HDHR.  I'm considering
> replacing the 250 with a HD PVR (The new hauppauge HD usb box), that outputs
> x.264, so I guess I need some guidance
> as to what I really need.  Thanks.
>
> Calvin

All the VP2 and VP3 cards support VC-1, the difference is to what
degree they offload processing from the CPU. Only VP3 (on the G98
chip) supports full VC-1 decoding on the GPU. Some of the VP1 cards
have VC-1 decoding support, but only starting with the 6600.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_43029.html

--
Steve