[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 12:43:21 UTC 2009

Hi

I posted the following on the nvidia forums. Those are my findings
about all the nvidia cards I own and how they perform with VDPAU.

I have way too many nvidia cards :)

---
.
Hi.

I have just received my Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H which is based on a 9400 chipset.

I have a few nvidia cards, and I tested them all with VDPAU using MythTV.

--
ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M, 8400GS, 512MB at 400Mhz, G98 based,
567.4MHz. Supports H264, MPEG2 and VC-1.

--
Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 9400G IGP, 512MB at 1600Mhz.. 580MHz. Supports
H264, MPEG2 and VC-1
deinterlacing result:
SD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X
HD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X
Note with HD content and either Temporal 1X and Advanced 1X there are
some weird effects from time to time, like it's missing some frames
and slight trails on moving object: still usable

--
Apple macbook with 9400M IGP, 256MB at 2088MHz.. 450MHz. Supports H264,
MPEG2 and VC-1
deinterlacing result:
SD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X
HD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X

--
ASUS EN9400GT SILENT/HTP/512M, 9400GT 512MB at 400Mhz, 550MHz. Supports
H264 and MPEG2
deinterlacing result:
SD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X
HD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X

GIGABYTE GV-NX86T256D, 8600 GT 256MB at 720Mhz, 575.4MHz, Supports H264 and MPEG2
deinterlacing result:
SD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X
HD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X

GIGABYTE GV-NX86T512D, 8600 GT 512MB at 720MHz, 600MHz, Supports H264 and MPEG2
deinterlacing result:
SD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X
HD: One Field, Bob 2X, Temporal 1X, Advanced 1X, Temporal 2X, Advanced 2X

I've sorted the cards in what I believe is the least performing to the
best performing de-interlacing wise.

Now, why the 8400gs doesn't perform as well as the 8600GT when it has
a faster GPU ; no idea
And even more hard to understand, why a macbook gives me perfect
result, when the 9400G based motherboard with the same chipset but
faster gives me something that while definitely usable not as nice as
the macbook..

Hope this help someone looking at their next purchase ... if you want
to add your finding with your own video card (using different chipset
if possible)
Jean-Yves