[mythtv-users] migrated footage only plays on combined FE/MBE

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 4 07:44:39 UTC 2009

hi all,
I have just migrated my myth server. I deleted enough TV until it all
fit on my 1000GB drive and then put that drive in the new server.
The new server records to two directories, one on the system HDD (500GB)
and one on the 1000GB. I can access all my old TV on the new server but
I get "The file for this recording can not be found" on the remote
frontends around the house.
I have been working on it for about 24hrs now and consequently have some
new recordings on the 500GB drive. All my remote frontends can watch
this "new" TV and still can't access the old stuff.
What I have done:

      * chown all old footage to mythtv:mythtv (same with the directory
        including chmod the directory to match the system HDD one)
      * chmod all old footage to rw-rw-rw- (I noticed that the new
        footage has rw-rw-rw for the png files and rw-r--r-- for the mpg
        files. This shouldn't make a difference should it?)
      * tried mounting the 1000GB as "/var/lib/mythtv/recordings2" but
        no difference (I did of course change it in the backend setup as
        well)
      * tried reconfiguring samba and nfs from Mythbuntu Control Centre
        (sometimes this resulted in intermittently being able to access
        the old TV on remote frontends but not my secondary backend with
        frontend. Using the GANNT theme if the program is in grey text
        you can't access it. On the frontends that intermittently worked
        I could get the footage to play by exiting "Watch Recordings"
        and then going back in. However sometimes after scrolling
        through the shows they would turn grey leaving only the new
        recordings white)
      * tried mounting the 1000GB as /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/Drive2
        (other recording directory being changed
        to /var/lib/recordings/Drive1) because I noticed in the smb.conf
        and /etc/exports that Mythbuntu Control Centre had only shared
        recordings and not recordings2. This had no change; no access on
        secondary backends frontend and intermittent access on the other
        frontends.
      * I just (now) tried reconfiguring samba and nfs on the server and
        now all frontends (except the one on the server) only access new
        video and no longer (even intermittently) access the old video
        (but I haven't restarted any systems yet - gotta go to work
        now)
      * The only other variable that I can think of is that the 1000GB
        drive has been mounted by fstab using the line
        "/dev/sdb1 /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/Drive2 xfs defaults 0 0"
        but I can't think how this would affect network browsing. Is
        there a better way of doing it that I should be using?

I must have forgotten a step because this is not the first time that I
have migrated my server.
Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Glen