[mythtv-users] Good video card with HDMI out?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 05:54:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or get the entire cable for about the same price from these guys.
>> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2
>>
>> By the way, their service is excellent and their shipping costs are very
>> reasonable.  Compared to the adapter from newegg, the cable delivered is $1
>> less!  Every buy something for $30 and say "this should only cost $5"?  From
>> these guys it will be $4.
>> Allen
>
> What??!!!!  You're saying I don't need to spend $219 for an 8' HDMI cable?????
>
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7858446&type=product&id=1158103757481
>
> It even has "nitrogen gas-injected dielectric", so it must be good.  I
> swear I can see and hear the difference; the digital bits get there
> faster and cleaner!
>
> :-) :-) :-)
>
> Josh

I know you are making a joke but I thought I would reply seriously
anyway.  With a short cable, it probably doesn't matter what the cable
is and getting one for a few dollars is fine.  If you are going 25
feet, I would get a fat cable.  Cable loss can be approximated by the
cable size so a 1/8  inch dia cable may be OK for a 3 ft cable but I
want a 1/2 inch dia for a 25 ft cable.  They have all of these at
monoprice.  Obviously the nitrogen gas injected dielectric stuff is a
joke.  Too bad people actually fall for it.

When I was getting my audio system set up it was speaker wire that was
the big deal.  I found it hard to believe that the wire could make a
difference so I modeled different configurations on SPICE, a computer
modeling program for electronic circuits.  I found that the speaker
wire did have a calculatable effect on the dampening factor of the
amplifier, much to my surprise.  What  you want is high capacitance in
the speaker wire.  The best way to get that and what I used was 4
conductor wire with the diagonals tied together so you have +-+- going
around the cable.  You also want thin insulators rated for audio
voltages and not house current.  That gives very high capacitance at a
low price.  Just thought I would throw some things out there.

Cheers,

Allen