[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 3 03:39:47 UTC 2009

Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> [...]

The fact that it doesn't support VC-1 means that it's not a G98 or
greater core.
The ones that support VC-1 is an 8400GS, which I can find plenty of,
it's just that I've read that they are not powerful enough to do the
high end deinterlacing etc.
Like the subject of the thread says, it's quite confusing.
Right now I'm trying to decide between te 9500GT or a 8400GS.
How important is VC-1 decoding, isn't that a microsoft codec?  I know
its supported by HD_DVD and Blue Ray, but is it really that rampant in
the wild?
All of my recordings are mpeg2 via a pvr250 and a HDHR.  I'm considering
replacing the 250 with a HD PVR (The new hauppauge HD usb box), that
outputs x.264, so I guess I need some guidance
as to what I really need.  Thanks.

Calvin