[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 2 12:58:50 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> says:
> Tearing with VDPAU is currently a bug in the nvidia drivers and
> require to disable composite in xorg.conf.

I'd actually been disabling/enabling Composite in xorg.conf long
before you and Isaac suggested it, but your messages did remind me to
double check the setting. Sadly, it doesn't make a diffference in the
case I'm talking about (Bob under VDPAU) either way; I still get
ghostly afterimages and some tearing.

> Depending on the kind of videos you are watching, some deinterlacer
> will do a better job than others. Bob is good for fast moving scene,
> but it leaves a lot of interlaced artefacts..

As I mentioned in my reply to Paul Gardiner, I value smooth, tear-free
pans and lack of ghostly afterimages more than anything else. As Paul
suggested, a 1080i recording has enough resoution for the "loss" of
half of the resolution to not be a problem on my 1080p panel, at least
for me.

One field--a deinterlacer I never bothered with pre-VDPAU--does offer
very smooth pans and movements, so I've switched to it.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array