[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 2 12:48:44 UTC 2009

Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> says:
> I don't know how people live with bobdeint. I guess with 1080i the
> resolution is so high that halving it in the vertical isn't a
> disaster,

Yes. I never minded Bob for 1080i one bit, but then I've always valued
smooth, tearless pans more than raw resolution.
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/246463#246463>.

> but how do you stand watching SD at half the vertical res?

SD's lower resolution permits better deinterlacers. I used Yadif 2x
for SD (anything at 720x576 or under) until moving to VDPAU, where I
use Advanced 2x.

> Are the vast majority of your programs HD now.

On what you would call free-to-air channels? Yes.

I wrote
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/183751#183751>
and subsequent messages three years ago. Since then, many prime-time
reality shows have moved to HD; so have many (Most?)  daytime shows,
even the syndicated (sold to individual stations as opposed to carried
by dthe network) ones.

I think only one of the many commercials that ran during the Super
Bowl was not in HD, and commercials have taken longer to move to HD
than the shows themselves.
--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array