[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Feb 2 07:06:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 23:44 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> American's are lucky that the FCC has mandated that cable systems must
> provide 'must-carry' channels in the clear on the 'Basic' tier. Must
> carry channels are basically those which the customer can receive OTA in
>   that area. But this does not specifically require the cableco to
> provide that signal in HD...they can compress it down and push a lousy
> SD analog signal if they want to.

Yeah - had a *lovely* fight with Comcast about this issue today.
Something about needing a cablecard box or some other BS... I despise
their support model... anyhoo...

> But it appears that lots of cableco's are pushing the idea that the
> digital conversion changeover *requires them* to switch to digital
> too...and the customer "has to" use an stb. As you say 'who knows....'.
>
> You may want to google for 46 CFR Part 76 and read the legal-ease of the
> regulation. Or search the archive: it's been covered before.

Umm...
http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/cfr/subject-title-46.html

Fire prevention, Marine Safety, or Passenger Vessels? ;)

	-I