[mythtv-users] OpenGL issues

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 2 04:36:27 UTC 2009

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I just updated my fc10 system using smart update, and it updated the
> kernel from 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 to 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.  I
> believe I updated all my kmdls as well.
>
> After a reboot and fixing some other issues, I am unable to see my
> menu items.  I see a lot of this message repeating itself on the
> console:
> QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.  Some
> research has indicated that this is an openGL issue, and indeed, when
> use the qt painter ( mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt), things work.
>
> I would prefer to use UpenGL.  Can anyone help me figure out why it no
> longer works or what I can do to get it working again?

I just posted an updated version of a Dependencies install script, for
fedora 10 and svn, on the mythtv wiki under Howto -> Dependencies
(Building from Source). It makes building a new install rather easy.

It probably works for .21 and .21-fixes too, as it just uses yum to
install packages for myth (and mytharchive, mythmusic and mythvideo).
There are 123 listed packages including kernel-headers and such which
will pull in and install the OpenGL glue which might be missing for your
(new) kernel. (There 2 packages which I think have been subsumed into
something else as I cannot find them in any repo.)

I don't know that it will help your problem but it might.

Two questions however:
  Did you check that /usr/lib/qt4/bin is installed *before*
/usr/lib/qt3-3/bin in the PATH of your mythfrontend user?

And do you have Composite Extensions disabled in xorg.conf. I think the
latter 'on' is a killer for OpenGL.

Geoff