[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:04:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/2 Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>:
>> So what is the point here?
>>
>> The idea is to shift processing power from the CPU to the Graphics
>> chip.  What is gained?
>
> My point is to get the best video quality , not save on the hardware
> (I already bought my system so the CPU would handle HD).
> VDPAU provides the best deinterlacer and the video quality is greatly
> superior to the various software deinterlacer.
>

>> I assume that the vdpau system saves 20 watts by using a slower cup
>> than what Tom's Hardware used and add the
>>
>> video card and cpu costs:
>> vdpau system 152 watts $102
>> standard system 136 watts and $98.
>
> You make weird assessment... If the CPU is running at 2% instead of
> 80%, surely it's not going to use all 65W rated.
>
>> could be a big savings but I don't see any other advantage. If vdpau
>> worked with an 8400 like I was assuming, that
>> would be another story but if you all are saying it doesn't, then I
>> just don't see the point, at least for a new system.
>
> I guess you haven't seen vdpau deinterlacers in action...

This thread points out that I have been watching HD without a
de-interlacer and had not really noticed.  I will turn that on and I
am sure everyone will be impressed with the improvement.  Kind of
silly of me but the picture is so good I had not noticed.

I will try vdpau after it is stable which is why I just bought the
8400GS.  I was just a little disappointed to hear it won't work but
from seeing all the comments, I will reserve that judgment until .22
as well.

Allen