[mythtv-users] frontend error messages prebuffer wait timed out

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:47:44 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/2/2 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Prebuffering_pause

I've had exactly this issue on my machine. Once in a while, the
picture would freeze and I must exit LiveTV and comes back. Would
happen every few hours or so...

That wiki didn't provide me any answer.. I tried everything they
mention and it made no difference.
My machine is fast enough (3.16GHz C2D, sufficient RAM and fast
network: gigabit). And so is the backend... 4 drives in RAID5 with
over 1TB of free space and 2.8GHz C2D with plenty of free RAM.

After a few experiment, this is what fixed it for me:

In general config, I've unchecked "Aggressive Sound card buffering"
and in TV Settings -> Playback, I have checked "Extra Audio Buffering"

Now the picture does freeze every few hours or so, but only for a
second or two, and I do not have to exit LiveTV anymore..

What an improvement!

Maybe that's what the problem is
Jean-Yves