[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area -goodbye analog

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Sun Feb 1 01:12:07 UTC 2009

That URL didn't work for me, but this one did:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_11594570

I'll be in the group affected by this (San Mateo), so it will definitely be
interesting to see what happens.

The question is whether all the QAM channels will be encrypted or not.
Local must carry channels will have to be unencrypted, but that's not
necessarily all of the broadcast stations in the area (I seem to recall that
ABC and Fox might have waived must-carry status - could be wrong, tho).  A
lot of the existing channels broadcast in analog are already in clear QAM,
so I'd be a bit surprised if they suddenly started encrypting them.  (Only a
bit, though.)

This definitely creates an appointment with mythtv-setup to re-scan channels
around that time to pick up any changes.

I am happy to see that I'll start getting a discount for the box rental fee
I have for the existing "advanced set-top box" I have.  That'll be a fun
argument to have with customer service.

I moved from analog to firewire and QAM about a year ago and haven't had
many issues.  The firewire connection goes nuts every once in a while,
though.

Jason