[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 31 22:50:05 UTC 2009

On Thursday 31 December 2009 03:34:33 pm Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> says:
> > > Just want to get an idea.  Also how does this compare to VDPAU?
> > > Better? Worse?  Same?
> >
> > As Byron said, it'll use a bit more cpu, as we have to move buffers
> > around from the crystalhd decoder to your video card . . . It can be
> > used with any video output card, assuming you have a slot to put the
> > decoder in
>
> But the Broadcom card still requires a slot. I am still seeing the
> rationale for buying one when a $40 Nvidia card today is a) fully
> supported by MythTV, mplayer, XBMC and other software, and b) has the
> latest-and-greatest video-output hardware built in too.

I can only speak for myself, but I have an interest in building small
frontends that do not have the ability to use a new nVidia card, either
because of the lack of a PCIExpress slot, or generally small size.

Of course the $200 Revo makes a good VDPAU F/E, and this is the route I am
pursuing now.

Since there are no VDPAU capable AGP cards available, I suppose you could use
the B/C device to get HD decoding into an older machine, though those machines
would be unlikely to have the Mini PCI slot needed. Of course you could use a
VDPAU capable card with a standard PCI interface, though that imposes some
other restrictions on the system.

You could use the Mini-PCI to USB adapter mentioned here yesterday, I suppose.

Essentially the Broadcom device is just another tool to have in your toolbox,
it might come in handy in some cases, but there are several other, and
arguably "better", solutions.

Bottom line? It's a toy, and not that expensive, so I ordered one. Merry Xmas
to me :-)