[mythtv-users] MythTV for TiVo converts

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Dec 31 22:35:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I'm just about to go live with my MythTV box, replacing my old
> Series 2 TiVo box.  I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions/wiki
> pages/blogs about helpful tips for converting my family from what they
> are used to (the Series 2 TiVo) to what I hope they will grow to love
> (the MythTV box).

I've written a program called irwatch that allows you to do some more
flexible button behaviors. You can have remote buttons trigger
different actions on different screens.  When I converted my wife from
the TiVo, I added functionality to that program so that it could do
things like make the TiVo button alternate between main menu and watch
recordings (and by the way, I setup myth so that she actually can use
the TiVo remote). I also made the 1 and 2 buttons shortcuts to the
schedules (ie: Season Passes) and upcoming recordings (ie: ToDo list)
when you are in the main menu. It made the Guide button more
intelligent, in that it takes you to the LiveTV guide for LiveTV and
the regular guide otherwise, and pressing it while in the guide exits
you out of the guide.

I also create a Menu theme for myth (called MC-Friendly) which I
thought was a little more friendly layout and also used some of the
familiar terminology for menu items.

These things are all on my mythtv patches/scripts page. They were
written for 0.21, and although they mostly work, I should be releasing
updates for 0.22 sometime this week (my irwatch program has been
extensively overhauled since the previous release, so I'd suggest
waiting for the new one)

> When I press ESC to exit out of viewing a program, and then come back
> into it later, it starts back at the beginning, rather than where I
> left off.

As mentioned there is a setting for this, and that's how mine is setup.

--
Ron