[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 20:55:47 UTC 2009

On 12/31/2009 11:51 AM, Charles Wright wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 1:18 PM, David Engel<david at istwok.net>  wrote:

>>> I am surprised that it has continued for so long. When one of the
>>>
>> So am I!  To be completely transparent, it *is* on it's third (maybe
>> even fourth) add-on drive.
>>
> My Tivo just died after 8 years of service this week.  I'm glad that I
> got Mythtv running with a tuner just about 1 month ago (I've been
> using Mythvideo for a year now, but did not have a tuner).

Bah!  I'm still running an original ReplayTV (model RTV-2020, pre-Tivo),
still with the original drive.  I bought it 10 years ago, back when both
it and Amazon were still new
(http://www.amazon.com/RTV2020-ReplayTV-Recorder-Lifetime-Subscription/dp/B00002ST80).

I've been hacking at MythTV for over a year (to replace the ReplayTV and
to get HD), and I have yet to see MythTV perform as simply and as
reliably as my ancient ReplayTV.  MythTV has, for me, been a time sink
with little reward, so much so that I'm seriously considering going with
Windows MCE (the horror).  While MythTV has no single big thing wrong
with it, it does have a vast number of annoyances, and the work it takes
to address each of them is making MythTV close to an Epic Fail for me.

Then again, perhaps I'm spoiled rotten by having a DVR that "Just
Works".  Are my standards too high?

I haven't quite given up yet: I'm still reading this list!  And
mythbackend is still running on my F12 workstation, though I have to
access it through MythWeb (streaming!) because of unresolved
mythfrontend issues.  But now mythbackend doesn't record SD sound
(probably a PulseAudio thing).  Sigh.

My 10 year old ReplayTV box just sits there, faithfully recording and
playing SD without any problem, silently laughing at me.

-BobC