[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCIExpress mini-card

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Thu Dec 31 20:26:21 UTC 2009

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> Doesn't look like logicsupply has the bcm970015 card.  Ebay doesn't
>> return anything either...
>
> I believe the bcm970015 isn't shipping yet, only announced.
>
>> I could get a BCM970012, but it looks like the 15 will support
>> DivX/XviD and Flash 10.1 acceleration.  Am I correct in assuming the
>> 12 doesn't support those things then?
>
> Nope.
>
>> I saw a forum post about the 12 supporting Flash acceleration in a
>> beta driver, but that was just a blip on the radar screen.
>
> There are comments in the driver source related to enabling flash
> acceleration on the 12. It still hinges on Adobe actually doing it
> though.
>
>> Maybe I'll wait for the BCM970015?
>
> I'm not certain, but from what I've read on the 'tubes, I think the
> 15 is only a companion integrated chip for motherboard chipsets, not
> available as an add-on card. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the thoughts, and the information.

However, it looks as though in the original announcement of the BCM70015
they will make a mini-PCIe version, as well as a motherboard integrated
chip, so I just thought I'd point that out for lurkers that Broadcom says
there's going to be an add-in card with Adobe Flash acceleration (very nice
for internet streaming of all kinds).

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Consumer-Electronics/Netbook-and-Nettop-Sol
utions/BCM70015

At least, I hope when they say "is also available in the PCI ExpressR
mini-card module format" they mean mini-PCIe, and not PCIx1 per say...

Brian