[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Dec 31 13:39:31 UTC 2009

> There's a small problem with your patch you can't have libmythui depend
> on libmyth because of circular dependency problems. Easy to fix though
> just change gContext->GetMainWindow() to GetMythMainWindow();

Thanks. There's a lot I don't quite know about working with that
stuff. Same thing with converting the context/action to a keystroke
and then generating a key event...I'm not sure if what I've done is
the best way to go about it. I just followed what I saw elsewhere
(like in networkcontrol.cpp).

I just made your suggested change and it worked fine, so thanks. I've
updated my patch with the changes. Thanks again

> I guess some people really don't like change but I would urge you to at
> least give the new interface a try. The aim is to make things more
> consistent throughout Myth. Having the right arrow do one thing in on
> screen and something completely different in another just isn't user
> friendly IMHO.

It has nothing to do with not liking change. If I didn't like change
I'd still be running 0.21 (or maybe even 0.18). It has to do with the
fact that I spent a LOT of time getting things laid out a way I really
am comfortable with, and making it so that it all works on a remote I
like the layout of. I've got a lot of functionality  packed onto my
remote, and I've went as far as writing a custom script to monitor for
remote button presses and turn them into dynamic command that it
issues to myth through the network control port). Buttons can behave
differently depending on what screen of myth you are on (which the
script gets via "query location" through the network control port).

I guess another way to look at it is, I don't need to change merely
because the authors think I need to. With mythtv's openness and my
ability to write code for it, I only need to change when I deem it
beneficial.

> The problem with having to have two menu buttons will go way when the
> patch on ticket #6814, or something similar, is committed.

You would think so, wouldn't you. However, for me it isn't that
function that I have a conflict with....it's the info key for
displaying details of a program. About the closest you'd get to
solving this problem in a way that can satisfy me is by putting them
info screen as a button on the recording's submenu. Still, even then I
see the right arrow key as more convenient. It may not seem convenient
to you, but in my eyes it's the logical thing to do. You pick your
group, press right to drill down, pick your program, press right to
drill down, pick your action from the menu. Makes perfect sense to me.

--
Ron