[mythtv-users] Card sharing

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 11:36:14 UTC 2009

2009/12/31 Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>:

> Is possible to watch satellite HD channels via card-sharing on MythTV? Any
> special hardware?
> --
> Josu Lazkano

doesn't care about cards as long your channels are descrambled when
receiving them. In fact any media player behaves the same. Ask in
another forum appropriate for this kind of question.

2009/12/31 Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>:

> CardSharing == illegal - not permitted on this list (quite rightly in
> my view as this is out and out theft whereas with the other topics the
> user _should_ have purchased the media).

I want to correct the wrongly made statement above. In my opinion it
is not theft to share your own _purchased_ subscription card between
several televisions or several PCI cards in your own house (except for
maybe the types of cards that are mated to the hardware). There are
even devices sold in Europe to enable this (sharing a CAM and a card
between several televisions in the same house). Using a softcam is the
perfect way to share the same subscription card between several PCI
cards in the same Mythtv backend. I haven't seen anything indicating
that it would be illegal to use your own subscription cards for any
device that you own. It would be stupid to buy a CAM and subscription
card for each PCI card. For other types of usage that you probably are
thinking about, of course it is possible to use any device illegally
for people with such a desire. However, as stated above, this has
nothing to do specifically with MythTV and does not need software
support in MythTV in any way.