[mythtv-users] Adding HDHR to a master backend with an HDPVR already

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 18:12:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2) Kicks back to the main FE page with an error about opening a
>>> jump file, or some other error that I can't remember. However, it's at this
>>> point that my FE becomes unstable and will no longer tune any channels. I
>>> have to restart mythfrontend. When I relaunch mythfrontend and attempt to
>>> watch TV, I have to quickly remember to tune to a good channel, or step 2
>>> repeats itself and I have to restart the app once again.
>
>> I had the same issue setting up my HDHR.  The problem is when you tune
>> to the bad channel, it gets setup in the database before the channel
>> is really good.  I had a separate SQL window open that would update
>> the startchan field of the cardinput table to '2', which was working
>> so that I could reliably just start mythfrontend.
>
> This is the EXACT problem I was having - Things seem stable for the
> moment but I have to go sort out the channels. Thanks for the tip on
> keeping a mysql prompt open during this process. That will be most
> helpful when I've got plenty of time to myself.
>
> -JJ

ok so last night I was able to focus on this while lurking on a
conference call for my 'day job'. This became a priority again when my
spouse tried to watch a local channel "4_2" in the linup (regardless
of it's lack of guide info) and the whole frontend locked up since I'd
actually disconnected the HDHR until I could sort this out.

Seems it was way easier than I was making it. (Typical)

I created a second lineup at Schedules Direct using the local over the
air option.

I edited the Video Source to use that linup.

I ran a mythfrontend in windowed mode on my backend server now that it
has more capable video hardware. That command was like this:

     mythfrontend --geometry 800x600 -w -v playback

The last option was because at some point while I was testing channels
on the HDHR I chose ones that were I supposed encrypted and they
'hosed up' my ability to launch livetv until I rebooted my backend.

With the frontend in windowed mode it was easier for me to edit my
channel lineup using mythweb and remove channels that I added
mistakenly added after performing the channel scan when I had
originally tried to add this HDHR.

Now I have removed the lower copies of my local channels since they
are broadcasted on higher channel numbers through my STB and
recordable there by my HDPVR.

The local channels are now in my guide program where my spouse expects
them to be and also listed again higher (I guess these are the HD
versions?) so that we can dual tune when we are recording something
from network television.

So for example:

KDFW-HD is on the HDHR using chennel 4_1 and xmlid 10402
     and also
KDFW is in HD on the HDPVR using the STB on channel 356 also with xmlid 10402

So since cable networks usually repeat their programming often and the
HDHR adds the local channels back again in HD - I'm able to avoid most
scheduling conflicts and not miss any programming and only use 1 STB
with my mythsetup.

-JJ