[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR Blaster Guide

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 30 17:50:04 UTC 2009

On Dec 30, 2009, at 12:22 PM, steve wrote:

> >Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I'm using the IR blaster "cable"
> >that came with the HD-PVR (or am I not understanding what you are
> >referring to by "multiple devices and IR transmitters").  When I run
> >the "send_power_new" script I see the emitter (red light) blink each
> >time a code is sent.  Sometimes the blinking looks a little different,
> >but it always does something on each attempt.  I think this is good,
> >right?
>
> >John
>
> If you can see it, you’re not seeing the IR emitter. They must have a visible light led in there too, unless there is a type of LED that emits both at the same time.   If I were you I would check the business end of the emitter per earlier suggestion.

The HD-PVR's blaster does indeed light up when a signal is sent through it. Probably a supplementary nicety added to give visual feedback that the thing at least appears to be working. I suspect his emitter is fine, the real issue is finding exactly where to place the thing. As I've said in other HD-PVR threads, the emitter on these has a *really* short range. If its off by even a centimeter when blasting to an mce transceiver, the mce transceiver doesn't pick up the signal, and the mce transceivers have some of the best reception of any device I've played with. I repeat: its *VERY* finicky, you must have it precisely positioned over the target receiver, or it won't work.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com