[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Dec 30 15:38:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 Dec 2009 12:53:59 Paul Harrison wrote:
>> We'll probably regret this but we would like your opinions :-)  We are
>> in the process of  switching MythMusic to MythUI and would like to take
>> the opportunity to make some much needed improvements to the interface.
>>
>> We don't necessarily  just want a list of feature requests, although
>> every idea will be considered, but also how they should be implemented,
>> what the interface should look like etc. If you can provide mock ups of
>> how it should look or links to images of how other players do things
>> then all the better.
>>
>> You should bear in mind the limitations of keeping the interface usable
>> on a TV using a remote control and where possible using the existing
>> widgets available in MythUI.
>
> If anyone mentions Amarok 2 I will scream.

I don't think Stuarts comment made it to the -users list, so hopefully
this will make it seen there :-)

I'll admit to still loving the UI and features on Music Match.  Very
easy to use, yet powerful enough.  Here are my two "biggies":

1.  In MM, the playlist is the focus and is always there.  Want to
play music?  Then move it to the current playlist.  I would much
rather lose the visualization and replace that space onscreen with the
current playlist.  I just realized that perhaps this is just a theme
thing that current themes don't display?

2.  You can play music based upon your personal star rating... i.e.,
add all your 4-star music to the play list  (this feeds into multiple
user star ratings that might be nice to have some day :-)

Regarding #1, if your playlist is long and you scroll to where you
can't see the current song that is playing, a number pad shortcut
might be nice to jump you to the currently playing song (so that you
can either see what song just finished, or what song is next).

Also, looks like there may be a few UI ideas hidden in the list of
functionality requests:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Plugin_Addons)#MythMusic

   Marc