[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR Blaster Guide

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:28:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM, greg pryzby <greg at pryzby.org> wrote:
> On 12/30/2009 08:35 AM, steve wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>  >I guess I have some more testing to do. Maybe the 3rd box, if I can
>>
>>  >manage to relocate it, will be the charm.
>>
>>  >
>>
>>  >Thanks again,
>>
>>  >John
>>
>> I suppose we should also consider the possibility that you have a bad
>> emitter. Digital cameras can “see” IR. So if you have (or can borrow) a
>> camera where you frame the shot using the built-in monitor (vs. looking
>> through an optical viewfinder) point it at the emitter and set off a
>> code. You should see it blink. You can also compare the blink pattern to
>> the one sent by the remote it’s supposed to emulate to see if they look
>> the same.
>
> Or worse.... u have multiple devices and IR transmitters, they are NOT
> interchangeable in my experience.
>
> --
Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I'm using the IR blaster "cable"
that came with the HD-PVR (or am I not understanding what you are
referring to by "multiple devices and IR transmitters").  When I run
the "send_power_new" script I see the emitter (red light) blink each
time a code is sent.  Sometimes the blinking looks a little different,
but it always does something on each attempt.  I think this is good,
right?

John