[mythtv-users] Performance problems with HDTV (choppy)

Mark Schuren schurenmark at versanet.de
Wed Dec 30 12:18:37 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 30.12.2009, 13:01 +0100 schrieb Johannes Schneider:
> Hi,
>
> I have a performance problem with my box (contains both backend and
> frontend):
>
> mythtv-frontend: 0.22.0+fixes22957-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu3
> GeForce 8500 GT
> 3x DVB-C (Philips Semiconductors SAA7146)
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300  @ 1.86GHz
>
> PAL channels work like a charm. Everything looks good. Some HD channels
> can be viewed well (Germany; Kabel BW: ANIXE HD, HD1, Servus TV).
> But some other channels (Das Erste HD, Das Zweite HD) are choppy. I
> don't know what the difference between those channels might be (codec?).
> How can I find out?
>
> I tried many different settings: vdpau with and without deinterlazer.
> All those software renderers etc.
>
> So could anyone give me any hints how I could try to improve the
> performance?

It's a known issue with ARD/ZDF/ARTE HD. See Trac ticket #7481.
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7481

There is a patch available (libavformat.diff), but not (yet) in the
official builds, so you would need to recompile until it's officially
fixed.

See my recent thread in this mailing list regarding "German HD
channels".

Cheers,
Mark