[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Dec 30 01:02:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are not your slaves.  The code is open, decide what you want to do
> with that.  Until you start writing checks, writing code, and most
> importantly, writing checks to lawyers, you'll get code written
> according to the whims, ethics, and personal feelings of the people
> doing the actual work.

Right, and that's the way it should be.

> This is nothing new-- expect a strong stance
> against anything that would be considered theft, a violation of law,
> or actionable to continue.

Ok, can you seriously say with a straight face that allowing the
backend/frontend combo to function properly when the backend and
frontend have different TZ configurations would qualify as theft or a
violation of the law in any jurisdiction?

I think what Brian was reacting to in this discussion was the fact
that bringing up rights issues in this discussion is really quite off
topic.

If you don't want to spend time working on a feature, that's fine.
Just say, "I don't want to do it.".  But to suggest that something
shouldn't be done because under some extremely unlikely scenario
someone might possibly break the law is somewhat offensive dye to the
presumption of guilt on the part of the user.

Eric